From:
"Crispen, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Crispen, Bob
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:43:38 -0500
Stephen Leake[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] sez:

http://www.dmso.mil/index.php?page=64/

> > One of the issues that's come up is that there are two codebases
> > which might be used: one in Ada95 and one in C++.
>
> Well, on this list I guess I'm safe saying that means there is only
> one codebase that is reasonable to use :).

Yup.  The one which will produce a usable product that
as many stakeholders as possible will participate in, as
quickly as possible.

Alas, my employer, who is otherwise wise in all things,
hasn't come around yet to putting my personal wishes
ahead of the requirements of the program.  ;-)

[Useful information snipped, but noted.  Thank you.]

> One consideration is the customers; if they already know C++, they
> won't use an Ada product. On the other hand, if it's a powerful enough
> product, this may be the reason they convert to the One True Way :).

I too hope that we'll see some conversions, not only to
Ada but to some of my other faves (e.g., domain
engineering), but the fundamental requirements of the
project are, as I said above: (a) to produce a high quality
deliverable quickly (an area where Ada excels, in my
experience) and (b) to get wide participation from
stakeholders (an area where Ada does not currently excel).

Not to bring anybody down, and welcome from de-lurk
mode, Stephe, but if the answers hadn't been positive,
I don't think anybody here needs to be told what the
outcome would probably have been.

Let's keep a good thought, and if folks have something
they'd like to pass on, I'll be glad to do that.

Bob Crispen