From:
phoenixl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:40:59 -0700
Hi,

I'm in the process of contacting HCI students to let them know about a
project concerning usability of voting equipment.  Voting equipment
manufacturers have been resistant to improving the usability of their
voting equipment even though usability concerns played a significant
role in the elections of 2000 and in the passing of the Help America to
Vote Act (HAVA).  An idea that is being explored in this project is to
have the customers of voting equipment manufacturers, who are election
officials, start writing letters to the CEO's of these companies about
the need for usability in voting equipment.  As part of this project,
HCI students from around the U.S. are being contacted to help with
reaching out to election officials and explaining to them what usability
is.  A brief description of this usability outreach project is online
at:

    http://members.aol.com/berkdude/elections-usability-outreach/

Please feel free to distribute this web page to HCI students, faculty,
researchers, mailing lists, etc, who/which might be interested in this
outreach project.  Also, please don't hesitate contacting me if you have
any questions.

Thanks very much.
Scott Luebking