From:
Jennifer Mankoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Mankoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:37:35 -0400
It has been said that the best way to effect change is to start in the
places you have most expertise. This year at CHI, we are hoping to
engage the community in a conversation about what we can do to increase
the sustainability of interactive technologies.

Come join us -- see the best paper (Sustainable Interaction Design:
Invention &
Disposal, Renewal, & Reuse, Tuesday, 2:30), attend the SIG
(Sustainability and Interaction, Tuesday, 11:30), join the mailing list
http://groups.google.com/group/sustainable-chi)

Organizers: Jennifer Mankoff, Eli Blevis, Alan Borning, Batya Friedman,
Susan R. Fussell, Jay Hasbrouck, Allison Woodruff, Phoebe Sengers

We believe that sustainability is an issue that has import for the
entire CHI community. We therefore encourage participation by anyone who
is interested in how sustainability might impact them, or has thoughts
on how we can raise awareness and integrate the implications of
sustainability into the work of the CHI community. A background in
sustainability is not
required to participate in this SIG. The discussion presented here is
just a first step in what we hope will be a longer discussion in the CHI
community. We encourage you to join the discussion and help us to define
a vision for greener, more sustainable interactive technologies. Topics
will include
 Opportunities for including sustainability in research
 Approaches to including sustainability in practice
 Implications for education