From:
Shailey Minocha <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shailey Minocha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:35:53 -0000
HCI2004: Design for Life
http://www.hci2004.org

Late January sees the deadline for full papers, tutorial and workshop
proposals - start planning now to join us in September in Leeds.

The 18th British Human-Computer Interaction Group Annual Conference is
taking place at Leeds Metropolitan University, UK from 6-10 September 2004.
Our ambitious theme is Design for Life. See the links below for more
details.

Researchers, practitioners and educators from around the world will come
together at HCI2004 to set an uncompromising user-centred agenda. As
designers, evaluators and implementers of interactive systems, we hold great
responsibility: the systems we design can shape the lives of the people who
use them. Join us in sharing the best of research and practice taking place
in this important field.

January 23rd 2004 sees the deadline for longer papers detailing original
research and for proposals for tutorials and workshops that will explore
topical themes in depth before the main conference. All offer the
opportunity to look broadly at the ways that computer systems are affecting
people as they feed into a growing number of areas. They can be aimed at a
practitioner audience, to support the conference's traditional Industry Day,
or can take a more academic tone.

Design for Life has many facets. It is design for quality of life: designing
systems that are liberating, humane and enabling, and which recognise the
user's individuality, rather than constraining, mechanical and dehumanising.
It is design for real life: ensuring what we do makes a difference in every
day experience and is relevant to the person on the street. It is design for
all aspects of life: for work, for leisure, for travel, for fun. It is
design for community life: supporting society, government, learning and
health. It is design for the richness of life, recognising that successful
interaction is as much about experience, emotion, satisfaction and
creativity as it is about task, productivity and effect. It is design for
the whole life from childhood to older adulthood. It is design for the
diversity of life: for users with diverse needs, from diverse cultures and
with different perspectives and priorities. Finally it is design for long
life: not focusing on passing phases and fads but on products that adapt to
changing needs and on approaches that can contribute to sustainable
developments. Some of these concerns are traditional ones for HCI; others
are new challenges that we must face.

What to do: Follow the links below for more information...
HCI2004: http://www.hci2004.org
Important dates: http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2004/sub-dates.asp
Submission guidance: http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2004/sub-process.asp
Committee: http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2004/contact.asp