Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:06:15 GMT
Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems: 2001

Wednesday 13th - Friday 15th June 2001, The Senate Room, University of Glasgow.

http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/dsvis_2001

Themes:

any of today's human-computer interfaces frustrate attempts to use techniques
that have supported previous generations of interactive systems.
We don't really know how to design effective interfaces for WAP enabled phones.
As a result, many users have abandoned the services that are being made available.
Similarly, we often fail to support user confidence in secure e-commerce systems.
The 8th DSVIS workshop will, therefore, provide a forum for the exchange of ideas
on the use of formal and semi-formal representations to support the development
of these new generations of interactive systems.
We are interested in both graphical and textual design notations providing that
they support the engineering of human computer interfaces.
These include, but are not limited to, UML, UAN, Petri Nets, Statecharts, logics etc.
We are particularly interested in papers that address the problems of representing
and reasoning about:

      Interactive techniques for E-commerce and secure systems;
      Human-computer interfaces for safety-critical applications;
      Usability requirements for mobile devices;
      Effective use of multi-modal interaction.

Each of these themes will be addressed during one of the sessions at the workshop.
Saturday 16th June will provide the opportunity for informal discussions about
the issues raised during the workshop.
The day will be spent on the Isle of Arran, off the West Coast of Scotland.

Deadlines:

Authors should submit full papers not exceeding 6000 words to Chris Johnson to
arrive by 26th February 2001.
Authors will be notified of the committee's decision and revised full papers
must be returned by April 7th for inclusion in the proceedings.

There will be preprints of all of the papers at the workshop.
We are planning that selected revised papers will be included in the final
proceedings to be published by Springer Verlag in the Lecture Notes Computer Science
series.
Authors should follow the formatting instructions at:
        www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html

Programme Committee:
        Howard Bowman, Univ. of Kent, UK.
        Steve Brewster, Univ. of Glasgow, Scotland.
        David Duce, Oxford Brookes University, UK.
        David Duke, Univ. of Bath, UK.
        Nick Graham, Queens University, Canada.
        Phil Gray, Univ. of Glasgow, Scotland.
        Michael Harrison, Univ. of York, UK.
        C. Michael Holloway, NASA Langley, USA.
        Denis Javaux, Univ. of Liege, Belgium.
        Chris Johnson, Univ. of Glasgow, Scotland.
        Peter Johnson, Univ. of Bath, UK.
        Dan Olsen, Brigham Young Univ., USA.
        Philippe Palanque, Univ. of Toulouse I, France.
        Fabio Paterno', CNUCE-CNR, Italy.
        Helen Purchase', Univ. of Queensland, Australia.
        Alistair Sutcliffe, UMIST, UK.
        Harold Thimbleby, Middlesex Univ., UK.
        Jean Vanderdonckt, Univ. de Louvain, Belgium.

Further Information:
Chris Johnson,
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QJ, Scotland.
email: [log in to unmask], Tel.: +44 141 330 6053, Fax.: +44 141 330 4913

This workshop is organised in association with Eurographics; the European
Association for Computer Graphics.
It is also being organised in cooperation with the British HCI group and
with IFIP TC13 (pending).