From:
Marco Combetto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marco Combetto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:25:14 -0000
CALL FOR PARTECIPATION

International Symposium on Intelligent Environments
'Improving the quality of life in a changing world'

The Intelligent Environments group at Microsoft Research Cambridge is pleased to announce our "International Symposium on Intelligent Environments", to be held at Homerton College, Cambridge, United Kingdom on 5-7 April 2006. The symposium will bring together top researchers from a variety of disciplines, including artists, philosophers, computer scientists, designers and sociologists, to discuss and debate how intelligent environments can contribute to improving the quality of everyday life.

Symposium Chairs
*     Tom Rodden - University of Nottingham
*     Richard Harper - Microsoft Research

Program Committee:
*     Emile Aarts - Philips Research
*     Alan Blackwell - University of Cambridge
*     Alex Brandle - Microsoft Research
*     Yang Cai - Carnegie Mellon University
*     Luca Chittaro - University of Udine
*     Gillian Crampton Smith - CONVIVIO
*     Bernard Burdek - HFG Offenback
*     Geraldine Fitzpatrick - University of Sussex
*     David Frohlich - University of Surrey
*     Matt Jones - Swansea University
*     Kristina Höök - SICS Sweden
*     Hani Hagras - University of Essex
*     Wendy MacKay - INRIA
*     Ryohei Nakatsu - Kwansei Gakuin University
*     Matthias Rauterberg - University of Eindhoven
*     Albrecht Schmidt - University of Munich
*     Naoko Tosa - Kyoto University
*     Ken Wood - Microsoft Research

We define 'Intelligent Environments' as those that seamlessly incorporate the thoughtful and insightful use of computer technology to improve and enrich everyday life. We want to promote discussions that take a completely fresh view of the interaction between society and technology; rethinking how computer technology should be used in the future to maximise the benefits to individuals and society. We look forward to receiving insightful views on the significant research opportunities and challenges that we face, the effects on society and the way we live our lives, the possibilities, the limitations, what we have achieved so far and what challenges we have failed to address. The format of the event will include refereed papers, posters, demonstrations, workshops and panel discussions.

Keynotes speaker include:
Don Norman, François Pachet, Naoko Tosa

Call for Papers
We invite papers to examine and challenge the relationship between humans, society and technology in our changing world. We are especially interested in inspiring papers in the following areas:

-Computer-augmented living
-Designing intelligent devices for everyday life
-Improving social intelligence and supporting human habits
-Modeling and managing intelligent environments

Papers must be written in English and consist of no more than 10 pages, including references, appendices, and figures. Papers must include title, author names, affiliations, contact details, abstract, a list of keywords, body, and references. Papers can be submitted online via https://msrcmt.research.microsoft.com/ISIE/.

If you have any questions relating to the submission of papers please mail [log in to unmask] For all accepted papers at least one author must attend the conference and present the ideas contained in the paper.

The event will be held at Homerton College in Cambridge, UK.

Papers, Posters, Demos submission deadline: 13th January 2006

Marco Combetto
Research Program Manager
External Research Office   Microsoft Research Cambridge (UK)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://research.microsoft.com/users/marcomb
Fax:+44 (0)1223 479 999