Sender:
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:14:04 -0400
From:
Helena Mentis <[log in to unmask]>
Due to numerous requests we have extended the position paper submission deadline to May 8th .  In addition, we now have a wiki with more information. http://design.schweitzerhome.net/

*** CALL FOR PAPERS ***
Exploring Design as a Research Activity
June 25, 2006

ACM Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2006 Workshop
http://www.sigchi.org/dis2006/

Design activity consists of bringing together the organized components of the machine and interfacing them in a particular way with the outer environment (Simon, 1996).  Recently, the NSF CISE program on Science of Design highlighted the importance of design in the development of interactive systems (http://ncl.cgu.edu/designconference/).  However, a shared conceptualization of what constitutes design research and how it can contribute to design process is still unclear.

The goal of this workshop is to conceptualize design research and how it should be conducted.

Possible topics of discussion include but are not limited to:
            What are the characteristics and qualities of design research?
            How should we evaluate design research?
            Who has a stake in the outcome of design research?
            What kind of knowledge results from design research?
            Are new research methods needed to improve design studies?
            The role of theory in design research?
            Are designs theories?
            Design research and the academic.

Position papers should be 2-3 pages with the following three parts:
1.      Address at least one discussion topic listed above OR introduce one of your own.
2.      Explain why the topic(s) you chose are important to this conversation.
3.      Position the work you conduct within design research.

We will evaluate papers on their merit and contribution to the topic. We encourage diverse and contentious concepts. Although we as a community will develop our own conceptualization of the above questions, we would like each participant to take a clear stance in their position papers.

Please submit your papers as a Word or PDF file in the ACM SIGCHI papers format (http://www.chi2006.org/cppf.php) to [log in to unmask] with the subject line DIS2006 Workshop Position Paper.  Position papers must be received by May 1st.  Participants will be notified of selection by May 15th.

Program Committee:
Blaine Hoffman
Helena Mentis
Matthew Peters