From:
Henry Gladney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Gladney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:05:45 -0800
The Digital Document Quarterly newsletter volume 7 number 4 is available at
http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ddq_7_4.htm<http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ddq_7_3.htm>.
Its table of contents is available at
http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/ddq.htm#Y2008 <http://home.pacbell.net/>.

In 2006, Deanna Marcum, Assoc. Librarian at the Library of Congress wrote,
"we kept on producing digital resources because we had to while whistling in
the dark about their long-term preservation".
This DDQ number sums up the long-term digital preservation (LDP) situation
by asserting that it is time for major institutions to choose LDP
strategies, arguing that the technical alternatives are now known, with few
surprises likely about what can be done.  Readers who want to acquire
understanding of the topic *quickly* can do so by selectively following Web
links in recent DDQ numbers.

The number also summarizes a recent CLIR assessment of the role of research
librarians.  Its conclusions are unlikely to please members of the
profession.

As usual, the number provides technical news, practical advice, and
recommends books that I found excellent.

Best wishes, Henry

H.M. Gladney, Ph.D.     HMG Consulting http://home.pacbell.net/hgladney/
(408)867-5454