From:
Janet Read <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Read <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:21:12 -0000
HCI Ed 2006 - Limerick, Ireland
The deadline for papers for the HCIEd.2006-1 Workshop has been extended by
one week to the 20th January 2006.  The purpose of the First BCS/IFIP/ICS
HCI Educators' Workshop, or HCIEd.2006-1 inventivity is to discuss and
explore methods and best practice for helping our students learn about and
apply inventive thinking when designing systems, visualisations and
interaction for human use.

The HCI Educators' Workshop Series is usually organised by the BCS HCI Group's
Education and Practice Sub-Group. HCIEd.2006-1 inventivity will be the first
workshop to be jointly organised by the British Computer Society HCI Group
(BHCIG), the International Federation of Information Processing (IFIP)
TC13.1 Education, and the Irish Computer Society. We are also very pleased
that HCIEd.10 will be hosted at the Interaction Design Centre, University of
Limerick, Ireland.

Position papers are sought to discuss methods in which we encourage
inventiveness in HCI design, a perspective that is theory-informed,
reflective, critical and yet creative. Very importantly, we hope to share
our understandings of how theories in the HCI curriculum can be taught to
encourage inventive and innovative thinking among our students. Although
usability evaluation is often in practice a post-design activity, it is also
an important HCI tool that can give feedback into redesign. Therefore, also
of interest to the workshop is can or should usability evaluation methods be
used to inventively influence the design and creation of new products?

Paper topics can be based on case studies or reports of best practice
showing the process by which inventiveness, innovative and creative designs
have been encouraged amongst our students. We also encourage the submission
of papers that reflectively describe methods or approaches we have been
tried in this respect, but did not work.

Position paper length can range from 4 pages to a maximum of 6 pages in the
prescribed format.

Visit the website at http://www.idc.ul/hcieducators/index.html   for further
details