CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Marty Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marty Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:25:04 -0400
At 11:58 AM 4/16/2004, Gerard Torenvliet wrote:

>I just love how Microsoft Outlook allows me to type in dates. Today is
>April 16; for a meeting date that I want to happen next week wednesday, I
>can type:
>
>next wed
>nxt wed

[snip]

>The input is then echoed back to the user in Outlook's chosen format: Wed
>21/04/2004 (for your region it might look different.
>
>This is a great approach. If we started to standardize on smart, natural
>english type date fields, a lot of problems would be solved.

Wow, I'm impressed Gerard. Funny thing, I've never heard this mentioned
before and you may know that Outlook has an awful rep among developers.

>It was probably a lot of code. But is sure makes my life easier.

Another consideration is that desktop apps have the whole power of your
computer at their disposal, with instantaneous throughput in many such
cases. Unless developing web apps using javascript - which can be
unreliable and downright painful because of browser compatibility issues -
we are forced for the web to rely on the server with throughput measurable
in seconds. Often that is long enough to lose someone, otherwise I think
this is an excellent idea. Thanks.