CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
jakob uszkoreit <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jakob uszkoreit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:55:11 +0200
On Sep 23, 2004, at 2:13 PM, Elizabeth Buie wrote:

> Alan Bucher writes:
>
>> My experience is that "widget" is a jargon term tossed about largely
>> informally by developers, but is not actually used in any respectable
>> product in a way that's exposed to users. I believe Java calls UI
>> elements "components", and Windows calls them "controls".

I wouldn't worry that much about the term not being exposed to users
frequently or serious enough, but rather about it being coined too
heavily
by Apple's next version of Mac OS X, once it's released. It will
contain a
framework for "mini-apps" called widgets. For more information on that
framework, called Dashboard, and what they call widgets see

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/dashboard.html

As far as i understood the term will appear in XML documents,
describing UIs
which is just what Apple's widgets actually consist of (XML/XHTML files
describing the UIs of the mini-apps).

Jakob

_______
Kyosu Software Development