CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
david broschinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
david broschinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:22:55 -0600
Last week, a web site that had performed a study on eye tracking on web
pages was brought to my attention.

The study can be found here:
http://www.poynterextra.org/eyetrack2004/main.htm

The content was fascinating, though definitely geared more towards web
sites with content vs. a web application.

This article talked about how to keep the reader's attention or even to get
them to read certain things you would like them to read.  One of the items
mentioned is to make sure that you your headlines are attention
grabbing.  (This seems common sense to me and harkens back to my journalism
classes.)

What do you do if you don't have headlines though?  Is eye-tracking
valuable for something like a web-based application vs web content? When
the user is forced to interact with the page as opposed to choosing to
interact, is it worthwhile to do eye-tracking studies?  I can see where I
can use some of the findings, especially around navigation and presentation
of content - anyone else have experience with this?

dave broschinsky