From:
Susan Dray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 12:57:35 -0500

NOTE: Submission Deadline extended until May 15 2009

*****

Second Call for Papers

Ethics, Roles and Relationships in Interaction Design in Developing Regions

A workshop at INTERACT 2009, August 24th & 25th 2009, Uppsala, Sweden

http://tinyurl.com/dac3kf

Extended Deadline for submissions: 15 May 2009

This workshop will explore the ethical and organisational issues associated
with interaction design efforts conducted in 'developing' regions of the
world, and design efforts supporting social and economic development in
marginalised groups in 'developed' regions. Our focus is on the challenges
of producing outcomes that are sustainable from technical, financial,
social, organisational, ecological and human perspectives.

Themes

*Ethics

-- What are the ethical issues involved in conducting design research in
this field?

-- What can we draw from existing debates about ethics and partnership
working in development to inform our practice?

*Roles

-- How do projects select partners to work with, and what are the
difficulties?

-- How can individual projects work in partnership with local NGOs,
educational and research organisations to develop capacity in interaction
design, and what are the challenges?

-- How can roles be configured and negotiated to maximise both the chances
of developing successful project outcomes and enhancing local capability?

-- What kinds of participation should be recommended? Is participatory
design always the appropriate approach?

*Relationships

-- How do outside influences, such as the environment of funding, commercial
interests, personal interests, and institutional objectives impact on our
ability to make meaningful contributions?

-- What kinds of sustainable configuration of interests can be supported,
and how?

-- What are the appropriate roles for individuals, research institutions,
government, commercial companies and NGOs in this setting?

-- How can we ensure that interaction design with development aims is
sustainable in local contexts?

Submission

Please submit a 2-page experience statement addressing one or more of the
themes listed above, and explaining how your experience is relevant to the
themes of the workshop. Your submission may include a case study, a
scenario, or a description of a particular project.

We shall be seeking sponsorship to support participants from developing
regions in attending this workshop. If you would like to be considered for
this sponsorship, please indicate this and send a short CV.

Send your submissions by email to [log in to unmask] with the subject line
"Interact 2009 submission"

Important Dates

Submission deadline: 15 May 2009

Notification of acceptance: 24 May 2009

Early registration deadline for conference: 27 May 2009

Workshop: 24/25 August 2009

Organisers

Anxo Cereijo-Roibas, Vodafone Group

Andy Dearden, Sheffield Hallam University

Susan Dray, Dray & Associates

Phil Gray, University of Glasgow

John Thomas, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

Niall Winters, London Knowledge Lab

For more details, please see: http://tinyurl.com/dac3kf

Susan M. Dray, Ph.D., CUXP

Dray & Associates, Inc.