From:
Cleidson de Souza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cleidson de Souza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 06:39:01 -0300
---------------------
Supporting the Social Side of Large-Scale Software Development -
A  CSCW 2006 Workshop  (Banff, Alberta, Canada)
----------------------

IMPORTANT DATES

September 15,2006   : submissions due
September 29,2006   : notification of acceptance
TBD                         : CSCW early registration deadline
November  4, 2006    : workshop
November 4-10, 2006 : CSCW conference

WORKSHOP WEB SITE:        http://software-research.ca/social-se
CSCW CONFERENCE WEBSITE:  http://www.acm.org/cscw2006

ORGANIZERS

Li-Te Cheng, IBM Research
Anthony Cox, Dalhousie University
Rob DeLine,  Microsoft Research
Cleidson de Souza, Universidade Federal do Para
Kevin Schneider, University of Saskatchewan
Janice Singer, National Research Council of Canada
Margaret-Anne Storey, University of Victoria
Gina Venolia, Microsoft Research

CONTACT PERSON:
Li-Te Cheng, IBM Research, li-te_cheng at us.ibm.com

Both the software engineering and the CSCW communities recognize that
software development is a collaborative activity, and much recent
research has begun to appear in this domain.  In this full-day
workshop, we plan to explore the social side of software development
with an emphasis on tool support and a focus on large-scale projects
such as open source, commercial, and government projects.  Through a
series of brief presentations and interactive sessions, we seek to
increase awareness and knowledge of current social issues of software
development, identify different kinds of tools that can support
collaborative and social activities in software development, exchange
ideas and experiences on how to evaluate collaborative software
development tools, and to build a cross-disciplinary community of
researchers and practitioners from academia and industry.

This full-day workshop seeks participation from a broad community of
researchers and thus we elicit a broad set of topics
in our call for position papers that may lead to improved tools in
collaborative software development for large-scale projects.  Topics
include:

* Navigational systems for software development, (e.g. recommender
systems, search, and browsers, that may leverage spatial memory)

* New media for capturing knowledge around software development (e.g.
novel uses of annotations, wikis, blogs, virtual worlds, and shared
workspace tools)

* Communication, collaboration, and awareness tools for large-scale
software development

* Visualization systems to support social aspects of large-scale
software development

* Ethnography or other empirical studies of large-scale software
development, such as studies of artifacts left by software
development, geographically-distributed development, žagileÓ
techniques, and induction of new developers into a team, that propose
analytical models for understanding software development settings,
which lead to implications for tool design

* Evaluation techniques for studying the effectiveness and impact of
collaborative software development tools

SUBMISSIONS

We are targeting a maximum of 25 participants, not including the
organizers, to facilitate community building.

Position papers will be required to address one or more the topics
listed above and/or expound on the theme of the workshop.

Position papers (Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft Word format) should be no
more than 4 pages using the ACM template ( http://www.acm.org/sigs/
pubs/proceed/template.html ).

Papers can discuss existing or future studies and/or tools.

Keywords are required for position papers, because we plan to use
this to help plan out a card-sorting exercise at the workshop.

Email position papers to li-te_cheng at us.ibm.com

The deadline for submissions is September 15th.  Notification of
acceptance is September 29th.  The workshop itself takes place on
November 4th.

Please note that participants will be expected to prepare a poster.