Sender:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:55:06 -0800
From:
James Landay <[log in to unmask]>
Darian,

Sorry for the slow reply to your email. We replied to your email on
11/6/2006 to [log in to unmask], but I guess you had moved on to gmail by
then.

DENIM support was slowed by my full time move to the University of
Washington from Intel this Fall. The DUB Group at UW has a large number
of interesting projects going on in HCI.

DENIM is indeed still supported and in fact we have a v2.1 version
coming out in the next two weeks that fixes a large number of bugs and
adds several important features including:

* Complete support for exporting a design as HTML, including exporting
built-in components, custom components and conditionals.

* You can specify a background image for the entire design.

* Images can be added to individual pages using the pie menu item
"Insert->Image".

* You can specify different font families for text in a design.

* Three different colors are now allowed for text and sketched ink: red,
green and black (prior versions only offered black).

* Many bug and performance fixes.

The current 2.1 BETA release is available for download at:

      http://dub.washington.edu/denim/2.1beta/

Other features that were added more recently (Feb 2005) in v2.0 include:

* Built-in (e.g., check boxes) and custom components

* Global links within custom components (makes it easy to create & reuse
nav bars).

* Conditionals, which let you cause a different transition depending on
page state (e.g., checkbox)

* You can also select an object by barrel-tap, ctrl-tap or right-click
(while using a mouse).

* Print enhancements: print preview, print selected pages or selected
regions of the canvas.

* Radar View is interactive: click on the radar view to quickly pan the
canvas to a target position.

* After selecting an object, you can resize the object by dragging the
resizing handles.

* Easier to create cross-screen arrows to target pages that are at a
distant, off-screen place.

* Auto save built in. You can turn it on/off via the Options using the
pie menu item "Edit->Options".

We'd love for folks to download it and let us know about any problems
they find (send us the denim log file that gets created in your home
directory, your denim design if possible, and a description of what you
were doing and what happened). We'd like to try to fix any issues before
this major release.

Finally, DENIM source code IS available and always has been (see
http://sourceforge.net/projects/informal/ -- we'll make a better link
from the main DENIM site). We'd love for others to contribute bug fixes
as we keep supporting DENIM mainly as a side project - the research and
any associated funding for it are long gone. If the community wanted to
keep it going strong, we'd need the money to hire a staff programmer to
maintain it.

Thanks for your interest in DENIM!

James