Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 13:37:13 -0500
From:
Bill Abel <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
I wonder if the cyclist studied a map (or guide book) before setting
off on her ride? Or at least had spoken to someone about the
particular journey? Surely you wouldn't think you could put someone
down in a foreign setting and tell them to go to the next village
120km up the road and expect them to go easily.

My wife and I traveled across Europe. We certainly didn't need a map
to go from one city to the next - the signs in the train stations
provided that information. But for us to go from Prague to Istanbul
and then back to London through Greece took a lot of planning, and
use of maps, train schedules and all sorts of resources.

However - to support your point. I also participate in a sport called
Orienteering. We use maps to find our way on an unknown course
through the woods. We also carry a compass. First-time runners
typically spend time using their compass. Experienced runners never
look at their compass unless they get disoriented. You just don't
need the compass - the map does all the work. The compass complicates
things and takes too much time. It's too much information.

Most of the time we don't need a map when following roads. The road,
the signs, the setting, all provide clues to help us navigate.

Regards,
Bill