CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender: "ACM SIGCHI WWW Human Factors (Open Discussion)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:39:05 -0400
From: Andrew Burnette <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,

Has there been any more discussion on this issue.  I'm also interested in
this topic.  I see that some posted articles concerning writing in print vs.
the web, which is useful.  But the issue concerning the "experience" of
reading a magazine also seems to come up.  Do people like the animate "page
turning" format, where the online edition looks and acts exactly like the
print?  Or do they expect something that feels more like a news site?  Or
does it depend entirely on the magazine's topic.  I'd like to hear what
others know about this.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Lisa Neal Gualtieri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Hal,
>
> This is one of my areas of expertise, after 6 years of working on eLearn
> Magazine. Online and print are different in many ways, including how poeple
> read them and the expectations people have in this age of everything being
> online and too little attention paid to quality indicators. How can I help
> you?
>
> Lisa
> --
> Lisa Neal Gualtieri, Ph.D.
> Editor-in-Chief, eLearn Magazine, http://eLearnMag.org
> Adjunct Clinical Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
> Blog on health and education: http://lisaneal.com
> Phone: 781-861-7373
> Email: [log in to unmask]
>
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Hal Shubin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Have you worked with an online magazine or journal?
> >
> > Do they expect it to be just like a print journal just moved onto a
> > computer, or is it OK if it's all Web style (whatever that is)? And if
> the
> > journal moved from print to Web only, does that change anything?
> >
> > I did a study that included something like this, and I think most people
> > wanted the familiar appearance -- table of contents, articles, etc, just
> > like the print version.
> >
> > thanks                          -- hs

> > Hal Shubin
> > Interaction Design, Inc.