CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender: "ACM SIGCHI WWW Human Factors (Open Discussion)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:35:39 -0400
From: Andrew Burnette <[log in to unmask]>
This has been my suspicion.  Most of the large budget/circulation magazines
that I've seen embrace a web based magazine format that is distinct from
their print edition.  At the same time, I see that small budget magazines
tend to move towards the PDF version.  I suspect they do this because it's
easy, and I know there are a few firms that will help you get your magazine
online (read: page turning PDF).  However, maybe readers of these small
market magazine prefer the familiar format.

Is there any research available on this specific topic....PDF version of a
publication vs. html based?  I ask because the organization I work for
produces a low circulation magazine, and wants a more "dynamic" web presence
for the it.  I've been talking them off the "PDF ledge" for a while, but
some of the programs like ipaper look really good.  Hard evidence will trump
anecdotal evidence any day.

--
Andrew Burnette
319-331-1193