CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender: "ACM SIGCHI WWW Human Factors (Open Discussion)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:17:07 -0600
From: "Kathy J. Priola" <[log in to unmask]>
We chose 'log in' for our more technical (vs. consumer) audience, but I
agree that going with the standard that your particular users might see
(~80% makes a 'standard') is the way to go.

On the one word vs two word question: English language usage dictates that
when used as a verb (action), it's 'log in' or 'logged in'. When used as a
noun or adjective (what is your login, or login information) it's one word.
'Sign in' is never one word.

Kathy

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 1:01 PM, David Pope <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Jakob Nielsen said it best: "Users spend most of their time on *other*
> websites" (emphasis mine).
>
> So go look at amazon.com ("Sign In"), yahoo/google mail (both "Sign
> in"), or whatever web site users of your web site are most likely to
> spend time with.
>
> -- David

Kathy Priola | Experience Design and Project Management | AIM kathypriola108