From:
David Jacques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Jacques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:51:21 +0800
On 3/23/06, Alastair Campbell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> I'm not claiming new thought here, but my understanding is that Web 2.0
> is a pretty amorphous term for some new things like AJAX and social
> tagging?

Actually I'd like to think that Ajax is nothing new. We were doing mixes of
dynamic HTML and javascript long ago, it's just a buzzword some use to claim
novelty. The fundamental difference is that it is moving away from the idea
of thin client to thick client.  As for blogging, social networking and
collaboration... Remember usenet,  newsgroups?

Here's what Wikipedia says about Web 2.0 in the criticism section: "It could
also be argued that "Web 2.0" does not represent a new version of World Wide
Web <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web> at all, and is in fact
comprised entirely of "Web 1.0" technologies and concepts."

I concur.

David Jacques