CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:24:42 +1000
I agree with Matthew that title of the article should be the link words in a
list like this. This approach has the added advantage that these words are
in the link colour and therefore they stand out giving the list the
typographical structure it probably needs. In this case the words are
factual containing key words that will attract people to the article.

But there are of course other situations in more informational pages where
one would put a link at the end of a sentence or a paragraph. The wording of
such links can be absolutely critical. Very often you need to persuade
people to link and you must therefore treat this link as your "call to
action". Jared Spool calls this the seducible moment and it may well be that
the link must really promote the destination content.

In this situation "more" or even a call to "read more" are really feeble
calls to action. Tell people exactly what you want them to do.

The link may have to offer a benefit or a strong reason for actually
clicking the link. By putting these words as the link the colour stands out
and therefore your call to action really stands out.
Eg "find out how quickly this can be delivered" or "try out the calculator
now" or "browse the database to see if you have won" or "find out if your
street will be flooded".  Links written in this way are also very good for
people who are just browsing pages by lists of links.

And before anyone suggest my examples are too long I should point out that
Spool has researched link length and has proven that  8 plus word links
achieve their purpose.

Irene Wong