From:
Kay Corry Aubrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kay Corry Aubrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:52:25 -0500
Hi - I am wondering if people can suggest alternative Uis to a tree
structure as a primary navigation method. The product has rich and deep
functionality. It uses an Explorer-style tree for product navigation, and
this presents a number of obstacles for users.

For one, they need to know the precise node to click to find their stuff,
they can't see what is under the node and some of the information lies 4-5
levels down. Because everything is presented on the same plane so there is
no indication on where to start. Using a tree in this context presents many
other types of problems, though the tree's organization is very well thought
out and seems appropriate to the domain.

We are going to offer multiple ways of navigating the product, search, by
task, etc. However, it would be cool to also translate the existing tree
into other navigational formats that are less overwhelming, offers more
guidance, and can show users the range of choices they have for their task.
We will likely segment the taxonomy into facets.

Can people point me to examples on the web that are successful in presenting
a complex taxonomy in a very simple UI that might spark ideas? Please send
your responses to me - I will collect and summarize.

Thanks -

Kay

Kay Corry Aubrey
Usability Resources Inc
End user research and interaction design for software
www.UsabilityResources.net
781-275-3020