From:
Oettl Sonja <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Oettl Sonja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:21:23 +0100
Hello,
Sorry to answer as late - but I have rarely time to read the mailing list and I am not quite sure, if my informations are still helpfull.
A solution, we used in our system ERIS (presented at http://www.uibk.ac.at/odok/2007/programm_frame.html), was semantic zooming in addition to normal zooming as interaction technique for the different treeviews which are offered by jeffrey heers prefuse. Semantic zooming means, that the more you zoom the more detailled information you get. The combination of both methods allows the user to have a closer look on one detail-level as well as gaining more information.
If your Information Space contains deep hierarchies, you could use the nodes as small treemaps and use the interaction method described above. We also realized this in another project (which is not published yet).
Third tool I know is http://www.infoverse.org/l2dsspace/, which was presented at http://www.information-design-symposium.org/2006/programme.php.
Greetings,
Sonja