From:
Kara McCombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kara McCombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:59:16 -0600
Here is a summary of the 5 responses I received to my posting:
A colleague of mine is looking for references (best practices, sites,
discussions, studies, papers, etc.). re: improving the usability of online
courseware.  We have an extensive library of online courses available and
regularly offer our mandatory training this way.  We have conducted
usability on the system, but she would like to know if there's other
information available.    I have the most relevant (and helpful)
information from the archives (
http://listserv.acm.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0308D&L=chi-web&P=R511&I=-3).

1. "Avi Soudack" [log in to unmask]
You might find this interesting:
http://www.elearnmag.org/subpage/sub_page.cfm?section=3&list_item=11&page=1
And there are other related pieces on elearnmag.org
___ avi

2. "Sean Cordes" [log in to unmask]
Here is a best practice guide i found recently from IMS Global.  I
though it was helpful as it shows the trnasition from the physical to
online classroom for many activities.

http://www.imsproject.org/learningdesign/ldv1p0/imsld_bestv1p0.html

Sean

Christopher Sean Cordes
Assistant Professor
Instructional Technology Librarian
Iowa State University
Room 153 Parks Library
Ames IA 50011

3. "Lisa Neal" [log in to unmask]
A friend forwarded your request to me. There are a wealth of resources on
this topic at www.eLearnMag.org. We have had SIGs at CHI on this topic, and
it is also what I do professionally so I can help your friend out with how
to design and test online courses for increased learning, appeal, and
usability. See http://www.archimuse.com/mw2004/papers/neal/neal.html for a
paper describing one of my projects for a client.

Best wishes,
Lisa

Lisa Neal, Ph.D.
Editor-in-Chief, eLearn Magazine, www.eLearnMag.org
3 Valley Road, Lexington, MA 02421 USA
Phone: +1-781-861-7373
mailto:[log in to unmask]

4. Mary Deaton [log in to unmask]
There is extensive academic research in this area that is concerned
primarily with how well students learn using online courses. I did
some research on it while working on my Masters.

I suggest you do a Google search for distance learning organizations,
where you are likely to find other articles or discussions in this
area.

Here are some select citations.

Wesson, J. (2002, 2002//). Usability evaluation of Web-based learning:
an essential ingredient for success. Paper presented at the
TelE-LEARNING. Challenge for the Third Millennium. IFIP 17th World
Computer Congress - TC3 Stream on TelE-Learning, 25-30 Aug. 2002,
Montreal, Que., Canada.

Najjar, L. J. (1998). Principles of educational multimedia user
interface design. Human Factors, 40(2), 311-323.

Olsina, L., Godoy, D., Lafuente, G., & Rossi, G. (1999). Assessing the
quality of academic websites:  a case study. New Review of Hypermedia
and Multimedia, 5, 81-103.

--
5. Mary Deaton

I should have included these:

Center for the Study of Distance Learning: http://www.ed.psu.edu/acsde/
Distance educator http://www.distance-educator.com/
List of research papers
http://64.4.16.250
/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=8cf9096d99d0052eabd9688cafa66684&lat=1089150524&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2felearnmag%2eorg

Also, go to www.eserver.org and find the Technical Communication
Library link and search in there.

Mary Deaton

Thank you!!!
Kara L. McCombs

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE  This e-mail message and any attachments are only
for the use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution or
other use of this e-mail message or attachments is prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail message in error, please delete and notify the sender
immediately. Thank you.