From:
Dan MacNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan MacNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:36:08 -0400
Below as thread are interesting/helpful comments I've recieve in reply
to my question on link names for pdf files

###########
2009/6/24 Dan MacNeil <[log in to unmask]>:
[snip]
> > For our target audience(s), Social service professionals and social
> > service recipients with relatively low literacy, we've figured out
[snip]
> > We're a bit stumped on names for a link to take people to a
> > list of .pdf  files.
> >
> > For people who know what a .pdf file is:
> >
> >        "Download PDF"
> >
> > ...is about perfect.
> >
> > For people that don't know what a PDF is, nothing
> > really works. We've tried "Print Book" "Print"
> > "Print Listin" "Print Docume", "Print
> > Detail", etc,etc,etc

##########

Mike Brockington writes

It strikes me that you (and I) don't know what a PDF is either.

We both know what it is technically, but what is it logically? A
print-friendly version? An archival format?  in other words, why are
you using PDF in the first place, when you are on a website. If you
can answer that you may have a chance of condensing it adequatly.

[snip]

##########
Sarah Nuehring writes

Seems like maybe the "print" part is not accurate
if it's taking them to a list of PDFs...maybe
"Get Document"

I would keep the link to the PDF list rather short,
and then provide more detail on the page with the list,
next to where they can open/download/print.

How sure are you that a lot of your users aren't familiar
with PDF files?

Maybe I've been around computers too long but it seems like
it's getting to be a pretty common file format. I assume
you've done some user profiling research  :)  but it's one of
those questions that always goes through my head when I'm on
a website and see the lengthy descriptions of what a PDF is, how
to download the free version of Acrobat, etc.

I think Mike has hit it on the head.

The pdfs, are printable directories of services and agencies.

We will start looking at link names like

"download pdf dir[ectory]"

I think Sarah is right also.

The link will take people to a page with explanations of the info in the
various pdf files we offer.