CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Alok Jain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:42:49 -0500
Dear All,

Thanks for all responses. My question was:
>I am working on large enterprise web based application where
>people would manage millions-billions of dollars of monetry
>transactions. This leads to huge data tables to displayed on
>screen.
>
>So situation is as follows:
>1. Fixed Width Layout (740 px)
>2. Data tables that are wider than 740 px
>
>Any reseach data/experience on how to display such tables?
>(should in-page horizontal scroll be allowed? )

Well I did not geta  magic solution :-), but here are the
thoughts brought forward:

a. Evaluate if such large table is really required or not
b. Create summary tables with less info linking to larger
detailed tables. and in doing so make it more obvious to user
c. Provide CSS or Javascript based in page horizontal scroll,
freezing required columns, for e.g.
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/locked-column-csv.html

Regards
Alok Jain