From:
MMDeaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:11:10 -0700
Sandeep,

Have you considered being in another room while the participant is doing the
tasks? I have found that leaving the participant alone with the computer
after I have welcomed them, shown them the set up, and helped them get
settled makes it much easier for them to forget someone is watching. This
requires you have have a set up in which the participant's screen is shared
with you and there is an audio connection between the room you are in and
the room the participant is in. This is not difficult to do if the two rooms
are on the same network. There are several software applications that enable
either or both of these forms of sharing.

I also begin any study by having the participant read aloud from a page that
gives the general description of what they are going to do, tells them about
confidentiality, and then explains the think aloud protocol and has a short
task using notepad they can do to practice thinking aloud. Most participants
I have worked with have little problem with it after that. Of course, I will
gently coax them to think aloud if they become silent for too long.

Facilitating user observation studies is not an easy task; it takes lots of
practice to feel comfortable doing it and learning how to coax a participant
without instructing them. If you really need to keep time-on-task data,
however, you might consider not using the think aloud protocol and, instead,
recording what they do on the screen and then after they finish the tasks,
run the video and ask them to talk about why they need this or that.

If you use a screen capture tool such as Morae that lets you index what is
being captured in real time, the method of asking participants to explain
actions is made easier because you can easily jump to specific places in the
video where you want to ask follow-up questions. There have been some
studies that indicate asking after the tasks gives just as good data as
doing think-aloud.

You certainly have been given a challenging task, and the person who
suggested getting the Rubin book, Handbook of Usability Testing, gave good
advice. It is a step-by-step explanation of how to plan, design, and conduct
a user observation test.

Good luck,

Mary Deaton
Deaton Interactive Design
Manager, Usability and User Experience SIG of STC