CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
David Unsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:31:22 +0100
Another reason for preferring browser-based applications is there is no need to update
people's machines with each new release, whereas some technologies, VB for example, can carry
an extra administrative burden.

Another reason is they are relatively lightwweight, so they tend not to require PC upgrades
for users with slightly older models, unlike some other technologies where less processing is
performed at the server side.

Another reason is that other platforms are not so easy to grow the user population. With a
browser based app, anybody who can access the network can access the application (or at least
the login element), and if I want a new call centre in Illinois to access the application
running in Ipswich I can even use the Internet if I have (say) a couple of firewalls with
VPN, I have almost infinate accessibility potential.

Finally, aperhaps a small point, but launching applications in a browser doesn't require any
special widgets or training. Just provide the user with a url and that's all the training you
need.