From:
michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:52:06 -0800
Hey experts,

I'd like to improve the usability of a webapp that uses a tabbed
interface for editing a bunch of properties.  Currently, users need to
click 'Apply' at the bottom of one tab to save changes before moving
between tabs, because the webapp doesn't remember values that were not
explicitly committed.  Users may access the tabs out of order and
often go back and forth between tabs.

Given the restriction of having to explicitly 'Apply' before moving
between tabs, I'd like to design the ideal flow for tab-switching.

Right now, the flow is:

1. fill out fields.  hit 'Apply'
2. switch tabs.  repeat

BUT... if you make changes, forget to hit 'Apply', and click on a
different tab, you're currently faced with a negative dialog:

Discard Changes?  Yes / No

I think this could be improved with a positive dialog:

Apply Changes?  Yes / No / Cancel

which translates to:

Yes - apply and continue to next tab
No -  don't apply and continue to next tab
Cancel - don't go to next tab

But I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the solution.  Does anyone have
any suggestions or examples of tabbed interfaces that handle this
scenario in a clean manner?

Email all responses to [log in to unmask] and I'll post a summary.

Thanks!
Michelle