From:
Susan Dray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Dray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:29:56 -0400
Contribute To UPA's
Body of Knowledge Initiative

What Is The Usability Body of Knowledge (BoK)?

The Usability Body of Knowledge (BoK) initiative is dedicated to creating a
living reference that represents the collective knowledge of the usability
profession and provides an authoritative source of reference and defines the
scope of the profession.

The body of knowledge will be derived from published literature, conference
proceedings, and the experiences of practitioners accumulated over many
years. It is not possible or desirable for this project to duplicate all of
the existing resources. Rather, the outcome will be a guide that contains
core material supplemented by pointers to existing resources, and will
continue to evolve as the practice of usability evolves.

Defining such a guide is an important step in our development as a
profession because it represents a broad consensus regarding the profession
itself and the range of knowledge, skills, and methods that should be
mastered by practitioners in the field.

Who Uses The BoK?

It will be used by practitioners, colleagues in related fields, students,
educators, researchers managers and policymakers.

How Can You Be a Part of UPA's BoK Initiative?

The BoK initiative is accelerating to collect enough information so we can
release an expanded BoK in time for the UPA International Conference in June
2009.  We are grateful for many volunteers' help so far, and we hope you can
help us reach our future goals.

We are reaching out to you as a member of CHI/UPA/HCI/UCD community to
contribute your knowledge to this project as it is a tremendous benefit for
both you and the usability community at-large.

Get Involved in Many Ways

    Contribute a "brief description" which is a short paragraph describing
a particular topic or a "where to find more" entry that provides links or
annotated reference to additional information.

    Create content for a topic in one of the BoK sections:  Methods,
Glossary, Organization Topics and Design, Professional Development or
Curriculum; or add contributions for the reading list.

    Add links to relevant research or practice for an existing BoK entry.

Alternatively, you can just share useful links with us, via del.icio.us,
twitter, twine, ZigTag, or other social bookmarking services you use.
Instructions for how to share these links with us are below. If you use
another service, you can always tag with "UsabilityBoK" and let us know!
Your links will help grow the BoK.  Links will be gathered from these sites
and incorporated into the BoK.

We particularly need links to resources that:
    You use to learn how to do something
    Help you understand or hone an aspect of usability or design
    You would share with others to help them understand and apply usability
successfully.

Don't forget to think of us as you do your everyday work!

Why Get Involved In The BoK?

    You can be part of an effort to define the usability field .
    You can add your participation to your resume.
    You can use this as a way to increase your depth in areas of usability
that can make you more valuable to current or potential employers.
    You can work with a team of enthusiastic and dedicated professionals.

As a work in progress, we have draft content on our private Wiki and you can
view the material approved so far on our public site at:
http://www.usabilitybok.org/.

How To Contact Us
For more information about how to be a part of the UPA BoK team, please
contact us ASAP at [log in to unmask] or call Caryn Saitz at
+1.617.905.5691.

Thank you for your interest in the BoK initiative and we look forward to
your contribution.

The BoK working group
www.usabilitybok.org

How To Share With Us:

Delicious Users
The Usability Body of Knowledge now has a Delicious account
(http://delicious.com/UsabilityBoK) to help us gather our volunteer's links.
When you are tagging content that you feel is appropriate for the BoK please
also use the tag "for:UsabilityBoK". That way the BoK will receive your link
recommendations. Remember to add a brief description to your link saying why
you think it is important!

Twitter Users
Use hashtag #upaBoK when you tweet content that is relevant to the BoK
project and when you tweet about the BoK.

Twine Users
We now have a new Twine set up for BoK links
(http://www.twine.com/twine/120ykrxlj-mw/usability-bok). You need to add the
"Usability BoK" twine to your personal twine list, then you can tag pages
using the "Add to Twine" Bookmark in your browser toolbar. When you add a
link, you will be prompted to provide a description as well as tags - write
a sentence about why the link is important, and to what aspects of
usability/design it refers.

ZigTag Users
We now have a new ZigTag Group set up for BoK links
(http://www.zigtag.com/groups/265). Join the "Usability BoK" group. When you
add a link using ZigTag, select "Share" and then "Post to Group" - the BoK
will appear in your groups list for you to select.

Susan M. Dray, Ph.D., CHFP
Dray & Associates, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN  USA
Phone:  +1 612 377 1980