CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
Boniface Lau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:20:34 -0400
Marike Maring wrote:
>> The chapter on user object modeling describes how to build a
representation of entities and their relationships which within a specific
system are most likely to make sense to (the different groups of) users -
this in order to AID these users in building effective mental models. <<

If you are learning object modeling, don't miss the book "The Unified
Modeling Language User Guide" by Booch, Rumbaugh, and Jacobson.

The authors also wrote a language reference and a process book for UML.

>> the only thing we designers can do is try very hard not to be
misunderstood too severely. And still a lot can go wrong between
representation and interpretation. <<

If you build a model (representation) and then hand it over to the users,
you are bound to have interpretation problems. After all, your model
reflects your view, not your users' views.

However, mis-interpretation will be greatly reduced, if you build models
together with the users.

Boniface Lau