CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
Massimo Fiorentino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:05:57 +0200
Simon Grant, wrote these fantastic words, on this mighty fine day,
14/06/99 23:48:

>C'mon, give us the paper URLs so that anyone who wants to debate
>your debateable points can have something to get their teeth into.
>On second thoughts, don't, because that discussion doesn't really
>fit onto this list.

I agree. If we have to get further into this discussion, we need to
figure out a definition for this concept, so we have a fair chance of
understanding each other. Just so we don't move away from the essence.
Strangely, this reminds me more and more of the problems that the nuclear
physicists have had when trying to explain what goes on in the subatomic
levels of physics - it comes down to "the eye of the beholder". Heh.
Well. May I be so rude to suggest the definition?

Mental map:
The subconscious "roadmap" that is developed in a user's mind, when
browsing on a website. It gives him a sense of recognition in the visual
and navigational (i.e. "information-architectural") layout of the site,
which he uses to preform a more subliminal - and therefore easier -
navigation.

Pthew. Well, if we agree upon this definition we surely can state two
things:
1. It again, depends on the specific site, and the specific user (which
most of our work do)
2. Using both good information architecture and good visual information
design creates a better mental map for the user

So is it not true what we really need is to get down to the specific
question that started all this, and see if we can come up with a solution
that has some degree of practical result to back it up with? Or am I a
"discussion-killer" by asking for this?
And look - I'm all talk and no action. Sorry. I do love these sometimes
philosophical discussions!

:)

Love,
Massimo

This was a post-paper communication from:
Massimo Fiorentino
A versatile person

"If you pair my wife with a Macintosh computer
- you get a wife...that never 'goes down'....!!"
-Robert de Niro in "Mad Dog and Glory" (1993)

"luck is when preparation & opportunity meets"

Get my PGP-key at:
http://www.interiority.com/PGP/MFPGPKey.txt