Sender:
From:
christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:49:04 -0700
> (That reminds me I am eagerly waiting for the summary of a previous
question
> which asked for examples of usable and beautiful sites -- IŽll contribute
> with one of my favorites, www.ixl.com)

i fear you have had to wait becasue there was almost no feedback. i wa
waiting to get a critcal mass, but it never came. I'll include what I got,
and add a few of my favorites:

I won't go so far as to say it is "beautiful" -- but an attractive and
highly usable site I frequent (an e-commerce site even) is
http://www.warner-criv.com/

I spend money online frequently -- this site has one of the best "shops"
I've seen... granted, they have a somewhat more limited product line than an
amazon.com. ;)
Yahoo has a beautiful design. It's simple, clear, and elegant. Also,
shouldn't you develop basic standards that you should work with, as
opposed to around? Why would you want to work around standards? There is a
reason they are there.
www.aiga.org  thier site is graphic intensive, but I love their navigation
scheme and elements.

My absolute favorite: http://www.design-inst.nl/

and finally, a few of my picks

http://www.austinhealey.com/big.html
beautiful and informative. my husband, the car fan, puts in a lot of hours
here.  And I like it too.

http://www.kvetch.com/ a classic; easy to meander through the complains, or
to add one.

http://www.atlasmagazine.com/win98.html a magazine by designers, usable by
anyone wanting to learn and experience

My most controversial:  http://www.marchfirst.com/, which I found when doing
a competitive review of design agencies. it's a smart site, especially the
company "soul" and "vitals". pretend you're trying to pick a web design
company and look at the site.

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html