From:
Clemens Lutsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clemens Lutsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:07:52 +0200
Jeanne Austin wrote:

> 1) In your opinion, which software prototyping tools for the simulation
> of Web-based user interface are high in quality as well as quick and
> easy to use?  This is for usability testing to get reactions from
> potential users early on in the development life cycle, so we'd rather
> use throw-away code than a sophisticated programming medium.

Well, there are several way to do it. One of the most successful (and
easiest, AND CHEAPEST) appoach is Paper-Prototype.
Another one (we often use) is Flash. In this case you can easily visualize
Structure and Functionality without doing too much Throw-Away-Code.

> 2) Also, I have been aked to research recommended means of indicating to
> users that specific fields are to be utilized on either optional,
> required, or conditional bases.  I would really appreciate your
> suggesting some sources that document successful ways to indicate such
> characteristics of fields.  I am particularly interested in sources that
> use empirical data to support their claims.

For further comparison or Sources, check ISO 9241 Part 12: Presentation of
Information
and
ISO 9241 Part 13: User Guidance
ISO 9241 Part 17: Form filling dialogues

Clemens
Clemens Lutsch / HCI Consultant
Icon Medialab  / Gasstr.4   /   22761 Hamburg
Tel.: ++49 (0)40 8979 8400