CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:27:21 GMT
Hello Boniface,

In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
>John Nissen wrote:
>
>>> I believe it important that you, as a user, can build and retain a
>mental map of where you have navigated <<
>
>There is an interesting observation in the book "Web Site Usability." Aft>er
>observing people navigating web sites to solve problems, the authors
>concluded that site visitors did NOT form mental models (maps) of web
>sites.

I didn't say mental map of the site, but mental map of where you have
navigated.  You must have some kind of mental model of the space in
which you are navigating in order for you to feel you know where you are.
You feel you are lost as soon as that model becomes incoherent or
inconsistent with itself.  "I started at point A.  I think I should
now be at point B, but now it seems that I may be at point C.  Have I
taken the wrong turning to arrive at C; or am I actually at B, and the
characteristics of C are an illusion; or is C the same as B and my map
is wrong?"

The three cases in my original posting concern the ability to
return to where you have been at some earlier time.  In conventional
browsers, this ability is supported by the Back, Home and Forward
buttons.   But I believe that this support is undermined in the three
cases I mention.  "Am I sure I can get back to point A, whether I
am actually at B or C?"

Cheers,

John
--
Access the word, access the world       Tel/fax +44 181 742 3170/8715
John Nissen                             Email to [log in to unmask]