From:
Michael Albers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Albers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:34:30 -0600
>Good designers are well aware of their user interface preference. There
>is no need to suppress or promote. A designer's preference is just
>there, as an option. There are factors driving a designer toward certain
>preference. Being aware of those driving factors means a designer can
>assess whether they are relevant in a given situation.  Furthermore,
>observing how we ourselves react to a given user interface can lead to
>creative ways of addressing a situation.

This brings to mind a speaker at a conference a few years ago who asked how
many in the audience drove cars with manual transmissions.  About half of
us raised our hands (more than I expected).  He then said that we shouldn't
be designed interfaces because we like! to do things the hard way.

Thinking about it later, I realized that the manual transmission drivers
would be either the best or worse designers.  The worst designers would
want all the control available and expect anyone to use it (normal power
programmer view).  The best would be willing to think through whether a
manual or automatic transmission would work best in this specific
case....as opposed to the designer who only knows automatic transmissions,
and refuses to consider anything else.

Mike Albers
Dr. Michael Albers
Professional Writing Program