From:
Hal Shubin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hal Shubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:36:40 -0500
I did some usability testing recently and found that people liked the
Yahoo-like hierarchy listing. The more second-level information they saw,
the easier it was to identify the right link to pick.

One problem that I've seen in pitching it to clients is that it's not
pretty enough. Lots of HTML text, no control over fonts, all that
underlining. Using this kind of hierarchy doesn't always fit in with that
visual image that the graphic designers are going for.

Here's one of the areas where UI design and graphic design can clash. Some
would say that this is the way it's supposed to be (focus on the
information and let the browser handle presentation), but the theory and
reality of Web design don't always match up.

                                         -- hs

At 10:32 AM 2/11/00 , Anthony Hand wrote:

>...I can't help but think that one of the reasons Yahoo lists three or four
>sub-categories under each main category on its home page is related to the
>click cost. They expose the most popular sub-categories at the top-most
>level, thereby removing one of the clicks (the one to the second level in
>order to access the 3rd level sub-categories). It's no wonder Yahoo's home
>page has become a popular model for portal design. This reason is also why
>we have Aliases/Shortcuts in Windows & MacOS. ...

Hal Shubin
Interaction Design, Inc., http://www.user.com
617 489 6595 voice, 617 489 7395 fax