CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:56:43 -0500
Quoth "Robert R. Moritz" <[log in to unmask]>:

>Joe also wrote, in relation to the PC web expereince and wireless web
>browser experience-
>
>>  Give that up. They aren't comparable.
>
>That would be contrary to our studies, where users who are regular visitors
>to a website (using a PC)  are looking for the same "content" in their
>wireless internet experience, especially where that information is
>"personalized" -  Thus, My Yahoo! in HTML and My Yahoo! on the PCS phone
>should match and they expect the information to match -

Same content, sure. But we just cannot make the user interfaces the same.

>  > What's the problem? The names are internal, for developers only. If
>>  text I entered has to come up later on in a process, the phone should
>>  automatically have filled it in for me based on previous input.
>
>Again, wireless web browsing has a different set of constraints and this may
>work in applications like Internet Explorer where the browser remembers
>information, but in the world of small screen display devices with limited
>processors and limited memory working across various websites - the
>challenges are more difficult -

The phone should broadcast the field data to the remote server and
then re-download it if the phone cannot handle the data in memory.
Don't make the user key things in twice-- especially on tiny
cellphone keypads.

>a starting point is distinguishing between the "local UI of
>the handset features" and the wireless web UI of browser access web content

Indeed.

--
           Joe Clark
           <http://www.joeclark.uni.cc> (updated 2000.03.06)