From:
"Parks, Beverly" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Parks, Beverly
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:07:37 -0700
I've long been an advocate of putting some thought into web page titles (in
the TITLE tag). I encourage people to omit unnecessary words at the
beginning of the TITLE text, such as "The", "Welcome to", "A", and other
similar expendables.

The TITLE text should contain whatever text (company name, website name,
etc.) that you want visitors to "file you under" when they look for you in
their bookmarks. It's a real hassle for someone to have to go into the
bookmark properties for your site and change it from "Welcome to the home
page of XYZ Corp." to "XYZ Corp." so that they can file it alphabetically
where it belongs: by "XYZ" not by "Welcome".

Most people won't go through that trouble of editing the properties, and
thus will not be able to locate your site in their bookmarks the next time
they want to go there.

The TITLE tag is more important than many of you might think and you are
only shooting yourself in the foot (or your client's foot) by not keeping
the TITLE simple and direct.

Happy Monday!

Bev Parks