From:
Juan Lanus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Juan Lanus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 20:42:49 -0300
On 5/15/05, Todd Warfel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 1. Prevent errors with good form design.
yes, thas's calle "usability"

> 2. When an error occurs, provide a method that enables the
> user/customer/consumer/victim to recover as quickly as possible. This
> typically includes:
>
> 2.a If there's only one error, go directly to that field via an anchor or
> similar method, provide focus on that field, and display an error message
> that helps the user correct the error for that field.
Yes, directly

> 2.b. If there are multiple errors, provide a global error message at the
> top, list each individual error message in a bulleted list below, and
> provide anchors (links) from each individual error message to the related
> field. Once at that field, display an error message that helps the user
> correct the error for that field and a link to the "next error."
Todd, here is the discussion focus. No, I think that in most cases
this is not a good practice because of the reasons exposed before:
+ Users don't make many errors because they are not fool, and because
the form is properly designed
+ When there is more than one error some errors might be caused by a former one
+ The user has to grok the isolated error message and the
anchors-links at the top of the page maybe far away from the field(s)
in error, this is similar to giving the error in a separate page
(which we all agree is a worse way)
+ If there are more than one errors the additional server trips
implied by reporting errors one at a time do not mean such a long wait
as in 1996
+ The devices needed for multi error reporting imply a greater
development cost

Saludos!
--
Juan Lanus