CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Abbo Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Abbo Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:58:27 -0700
Here are the two responses I received to my original email (included at the very bottom)...

From Cindy Lu:

>I believe a web page copyright date should match the year is was first
>created, or most recently updated. This would result in web page copyright
>dates that vary across a web site. Further, I think the home page copyright
>date should match the newest web page copyright date on the site.

I agree.

>In terms of maintaining web page copyright dates, I don't think it's a
>best-practice to change the copyright date on all pages just because it's a
>new year. While that may be easy, by using a template component or script,
>it seems inconsistent with the intent of web page copyrights.

I am not so sure how the copyright works. If I have a software and I updated part of it, should I only mark the part I updated with a new copyright date? I don't think so. I think you should treat the entire web site as a whole not in pieces.

You can use server side include to include a copyright part. Once you update that, the entire site is updated.

From Jan Meyer:

I think the copyright should apply to the content (creation or changes) and not neccessarily the page changes. For instance you could change the layout, but not the content (a white paper say). Or you might have to change an address or phone number in the footer info. Would you really want the copyright to reflect an area code change or the date the content was generated?

If you want to copyright the layout, then that would go into a page about the website and agreement of use.

===============

Original email:

Web page copyright dates serve several functions, one of which is giving users a sense of how 'fresh' the content is.

My questions below relate to learning best-practices for the use of copyright dates on web site. I already checked the chi-web archives and didn't find answers to my questions.

I believe a web page copyright date should match the year is was first created, or most recently updated. This would result in web page copyright dates that vary across a web site. Further, I think the home page copyright date should match the newest web page copyright date on the site.

In terms of maintaining web page copyright dates, I don't think it's a best-practice to change the copyright date on all pages just because it's a new year. While that may be easy, by using a template component or script, it seems inconsistent with the intent of web page copyrights.

I have two questions:

1. Are there 'best practices' for determining and using web page copyright dates across a web site? If so, are there resources to find that information?

2. Are there 'best practices' for maintaining web page copyright dates, from a technical standpoint, especially for larger sites? If so, are there resources to find that information?

I will collect and summarize the results.

Thanks in advance,
Abbo
--
Abbo Peterson
Vista Point Consulting

Get free web site tips--sign up for our monthly e-newsletter

Improving web sites with a new point of view
http://www.newvistapoint.com