Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:04:21 -0700
From:
Jaime Teevan <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Personal Information Management: PIM 2008

A CHI 2008 WORKSHOP
April 5 & 6, 2008, FLORENCE, ITALY

WEBSITE: http://www.pim2008.org

DEADLINE FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS: 3 October 2007

Personal information management (PIM) is the practice and study of the activities people perform to acquire, organize, maintain, and retrieve information for everyday use.  PIM is a growing area of interest as we all strive for better use of our limited personal resources of time, money, and energy, as well as greater workplace efficiency and productivity. Good research on the topic is being done in several disciplines, including human-computer interaction, database management, information retrieval, and artificial intelligence.  This two-day workshop will continue momentum towards building a community of researchers doing PIM-related research.

We encourage participation based on, but not limited to, the following PIM-related topics:

Understanding PIM
- How people manage their personal information beyond their desktop
- How people find and re-find information
- How people keep and organize information
- Methods and methodologies of PIM fieldwork: How do we study PIM?

Tools and Techniques in Support of PIM
- Mobile and Web-based PIM tools
- Underlying data representation and the unification of personal information
- Tools for finding and re-finding personal information
- Tools for keeping and organizing personal information
- Methods and methodologies for the evaluation of PIM tools
- Teachable/learnable strategies of PIM

PIM in the Larger World
- Group information management
- Privacy and projection of personal information
- Security, law and policies (public and corporate)
- PIM for different people and situations (e.g., patients, aging populations)

Special Topic: The Disappearing Desktop

The traditional desktop computer and even the desktop computing metaphor may soon be relics of our digital information past.  Many people now rely primarily on mobile computers, docking only on occasion to a larger keyboard and display. Other people do not rely on a single device, but rather access, organize, and manage their personal information through any device that provides access the Web.  A rush of developments with mobile and Web-based computing are pulling the traditional digital desktop apart. As this happens, we face new challenges and opportunities in personal information management.

PIM 2008 will provide a forum for discussion of a wide range of PIM-related issues.  In keeping with the "disappearing desktop" theme, special focus will be given to challenges and opportunities created by an ongoing revolution in mobile and Web-based tools and technologies for information management.

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Interested participants should submit to one of the following submission categories:

- Position statement (Maximum 2000 words)
- Full paper (Maximum 8000 words)

Submissions should be mailed to [log in to unmask] by 5pm PST on October 3, 2007.  Please indicate the intended submission category and which of the three topic areas best applies to your submission:

- Understanding PIM
- Tools and Techniques in Support of PIM
- PIM in the Larger World

ORGANIZERS
Jaime Teevan, Microsoft Research, USA
William Jones, University of Washington, USA
Deborah Barreau, University of North Carolina, USA
Rick Boardman, Google, USA
Ofer Bergman, University of Sheffield, UK
Tiziana Catarci, University of Roma, Italy
Robert Capra, University of North Carolina, USA
Jens Dittrich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
Susan Dumais, Microsoft Research, USA
David Elsweiler, University of Strathclyde, UK
Danyel Fisher, Microsoft Research, USA
Jacek Gwizdka, Rutgers University, USA
Kirstie Hawkey, Dalhousie University, Canada
Antonella Poggi, University of Roma, Italy
Simone Stumpf, Oregon State University, USA
Manas Tungare, Virginia Tech, USA
Steve Whittaker, University of Sheffield, UK