Sender:
From:
Eva Hornecker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:22:27 +0100
*Student Funding and Extended Workshop Deadline - Shareable
Interfaces for Learning
11-12 September 2008, University of Sussex *

We are pleased to announce that having secured additional funding for
our workshop we are able to accept further submissions and have
extended the deadline for position papers to 31st July 2008.

We are also now able to provide funding including substantial travel
and accommodation costs for postgraduate students. Funded places will
be allocated, subject to acceptance, on a first come first serve basis.

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

We are organizing a workshop on Shareable Interfaces and Learning to
be held in the innovative
Sussex University Creativity Zone on the 11-12 September 2008. The
aim is to draw together
research on the design of shareable interfaces to support learning
from researchers and
practitioners working in areas such as psychology, education,
computing, HCI and architecture. It
follows on from the highly successful workshop on shareable
interfaces held last year at the Open
University (http://mcs.open.ac.uk/pm5923/si2007/).

Shareable interfaces are designed to support co-located
collaboration. They include technologies
such as interactive multi-touch whiteboards, walls and tables,
tangibles, single display groupware
or multiple personal devices used to interact with a shared
representation. These technical
innovations provide both opportunities and challenges to educators
and designers who aim to
design systems to support co-located collaborative learning. On the
one hand, these technologies
would intuitively seem to support collaborative activity better than
the single user PC or the one-
to-many PowerPoint presentation. On the other hand, there are few
design frameworks or
systematic evaluations of shareable technologies to guide their
design and deployment.
Experience has shown that investment in technology in educational
settings can be problematic in
the absence of clear guidelines about its best use.

This workshop, sponsored by the ShareIT project
(www.shareitproject.org <http://www.shareitproject.org/>) will draw
together
current themes and topics and address the potential of different
sorts of shareable technologies
for supporting co-located collaborative learning.

The workshop will feature 3 invited talks and several activity
sessions to ground discussion and
provide a shared focus. The invited speakers will be:

Edith Ackermann: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, School of
Architecture. (http://web.media.mit.edu/~edith/) <http://
web.media.mit.edu/%7Eedith/%29>

Frederic Kaplan: Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (http://
www.fkaplan.com/en/index.xml)

Tom Moher: Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois,
(http://www.evl.uic.edu/moher/)

Submission and Participation

Please submit a 1-2 page position paper on the theme of the workshop
by 20th June to:
[log in to unmask] <mailto:shareables-

In order to facilitate cohesive discussion participation will be
based on accepted submissions only.

Participation is free and will be funded by the ShareIT project.
Lunch and refreshments during the
workshop will be provided. There will be a charge of £30 for the
conference dinner to be paid in
cash on arrival at the workshop. Financial assistance is available to
PhD students to enable
participation.

Location

University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Inqbate Creativity Zone: Pevensey III building (http://
www.inqbate.co.uk/)

Time and Date

10am 11th –- 3pm 12th September 2008

Further information will appear at: http://shareitproject.org/
index.php?page=Workshop2008

Organisers:

Amanda Harris and Nicola Yuill (Department of Psychology, University
of Sussex, Brighton, UK),
Paul Marshall, Eva Hornecker and Yvonne Rogers (Pervasive Interaction
lab, The Open University,
Milton Keynes, UK)

--
Dr Amanda Harris