From:
David England <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David England <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:32:48 +0100
2nd Whole Body Interaction Workshop

Liverpool John Moores University

Liverpool, UK

1st September 2008

As part of HCI 2008

http://www.hci2008.org

Workshop website: http://java.cms.livjm.ac.uk/homepage/staff/cmsdengl/AHRC/index.html

The aim of this workshop is to promote critical discussion over whole
body interaction in virtual, mixed and augmented environments and
provide attendees with a critical framework for tackling issues in
understanding WBI.

Bill Buxton mused on what future archaeologist would make of today’s
humans extrapolating from our current computer technology and came up
with a being with one eye, a dominant hand and two ears but lacking
legs, and a sense of smell or touch. He argued for greater involvement
in the whole person and their senses in human-computer interaction.
Artists have responded to this challenge by exploiting the various
technologies that fall under the general banner of virtual reality,
and support whole body interaction. Goldberg has also considered how
performers are not just concerned with the body and bodily actions but
also the relationship between performer and audience.

In recent years we have seen developments in Marker-less whole body
position tracking and bio-cybernetics which could support whole body
interaction.

We invite position papers of 2-4 pages which address issues such as
the following,

- Marker-less and advanced body tracking
- Bio-cybernetics
- Cognition and body position and interaction
- Emotion and posture
- Development frameworks for WBI
- Performance in WBI

and other relevant topics. Position papers from the first workshop can
be found on the workshop website.

Position papers should be received by 19th July and sent to [log in to unmask]
. Papers will be reviewed by the organising committee and
notifications returned on 29th July.

Organising Committee

David England, Liverpool John Moores University, UK (Chair)
Paul Fergus, Liverpool John Moores University, UK
Eva Hornecker, Open University, UK
Paul Marshall, Open University, UK
Christ Roast, Sheffield Hallam University, UK
Pablo Romero, University of Sussex, UK
A Taleb Bendiab, Liverpool John Moores University, UK

regards

David England
Chair, HCI2008

Eur Ing Dr David England MBCS CEng,
Head of Computer Systems/Principal Lecturer
http://lister.cms.livjm.ac.uk/homepage/staff/cmsdengl/