From:
Ian Oakley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Oakley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 07:46:13 +0000
First Call for Papers
Second International Workshop on Haptic and Audio Interaction Design
Provisional Deadline for full paper submission - 15th June 2007
Workshop to be held in November 2007 in Seoul, Korea
http://www.haid2007.org

We apologise if you receive multiple copies of this notice

Overview
Technologies to enable multimodal interaction are now sufficiently mature that research is turning away from pure technology
development and looking towards interaction and design issues. Robust solutions exist to display audio and haptic feedback in
many forms - for instance as speech and non speech sounds and through tactile and force feedback sensations. Furthermore, it
has been demonstrated that the novel interactions supported by these modalities can confer benefits for all users. However,
many questions remain: how can we design effective haptic, audio and multimodal interfaces? In what new application areas can
we apply these techniques? Are there design methods that are useful? Or evaluation techniques that are particularly
appropriate?

While multimodal interfaces are attracting more and more attention, there is relatively little work on how the haptic and
auditory modalities can be efficiently and effectively combined in an interface. Is there information which is better
communicated using one modality rather than another? How can we link haptic and auditory displays so that changes in one
modality are reflected in the other? Can we create complimentary relationships between the information displayed to each
sense? Additionally, how should we interact with these new displays and interfaces? Is a direct manipulation interaction style
still appropriate? A technique that works well with a force feedback device but may not be appropriate for all types of
displays. How should we interact with a tactile display, or manipulate a sonified graph?

Whilst audio and haptic interaction has been shown to be a useful tool, neither sense has the bandwidth of the visual
modality. Careful, considered and informed interaction design will play a vital role if multimodal systems are to move beyond
the lab and into the real world. This workshop seeks novel research addressing this human-centric challenge.

HAID'07 is a direct successor to the successful first HAID workshop held in Glasgow, UK in 2006:
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~mcgookdk/multivis/workshop.html

Topics
Contributions are welcomed in (but not limited to) the following areas:
  - Novel haptic, audio and multimodal interfaces and interactions
  - Evaluating multimodal interactions
  - Design principles for multimodal systems
  - Multimodal visualisations
  - Cross modal interactions
  - Auditory and haptic displays for visually impaired people
  - Multimodal gaming and entertainment
  - Collaborative multimodal systems
  - Novel systems and interactions using other modalities (e.g. taste, smell)

Publication
We are seeking to publish the workshop proceedings with Springer in their LNCS journal series.

Important Dates
Please note that all dates are currently provisional and may be subject to change.

  - 23rd February 2007: First call for papers
  - 15th June 2007: Papers due for submission
  - 3rd August 2007: Notification of acceptance
  - 17th August 2007: Final (camera ready) versions of papers due
  - November: Haptic and Audio Interaction Design Workshop (exact dates to be confirmed)

Location
The 2nd International Workshop on Haptic and Audio Interaction Design will be held in Seoul, Korea in November 2007.

Program Co-Chairs
Ian Oakley (ETRI, Korea)
Stephen Brewster (University of Glasgow, UK)