From:
Pearl Pu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 18:46:41 +0200
We are very pleased to announce the ACM International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI08) - Canary Islands, Spain, January 13th-16th 2008

IUI 2008 will focus on **interface innovation**. We're most interested in truly new ideas about how people and computers could interact. If you've got a new idea about how to make interfaces smarter, easier to use, and more effective, we want to hear it!

We are inviting proposals and research papers in several categories:

    Due Date
    Monday Oct 1 '07       Long and Short Papers
    Monday Aug 27 '07      Workshop and Tutorial Proposals

General Chair:
    Steffan Staab
    Universitat Koblenz-Landau, Germany

Program Chairs:
    Jeffrey Bradshaw
    Institute of Human and Machine Cognition, U.S.A.

    Henry Lieberman
    Media Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.

For more information, please visit the conference website:

    http://www.iuiconf.org/

Why submit to IUI?
------------------
IUI is where the community of people interested in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) meets the Artificial Intelligence (AI) community. We're also very interested in contributions from related fields, such as psychology, cognitive science, computer graphics, the arts, etc. Unlike traditional AI, our focus is not so much to make the computer smart all by itself, but to make the interaction between computers and people smarter. Unlike traditional HCI, we're more willing to consider solutions that involve large amounts of knowledge, heuristics, and emerging technologies such as natural language understanding or gesture recognition.

The IUI conference gives you a chance to present and to see work in an intimate, focused, no-nonsense event. It is large enough to be diverse and lively (we expect 150-200 people), but small enough to avoid the circus-like atmosphere of conferences with thousands of people. The vast majority of the attendees are actively involved with conceiving and developing cutting-edge interfaces leading to a high and fast impact of research results presented at IUI. It brings together people from academics, industry, and nonprofits. As an ACM conference, papers appear in the ACM Digital Library and citation indices. There will also be a journal publication path for selected papers. It's a single track conference, so you don't have to miss anything. And it's always in a beautiful place, in January!

IUI topics include, but are not limited
- Natural language and speech input and ouput;
- Example and programming based interfaces;
- Personalization, collaboration, and recommender systems;
- Interfaces that learn, teach, provide feedback, or adapt to the user;
- AI techniques such as planning and reasoning in interfaces;
- Knowledge-based systems;
- Intelligent Visualization;
- Gesture, attention, and face recognition;
- Affective computing, social computing, and aesthetic computing;
- Ubiquitous computing, ambient computing, and tangible computing;
- Novel methods for, and novel results of, evaluating intelligent user interfaces.

Pearl Pu
EPFL, Switzerland
Publicity Chair for IUI'08