Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:01:07 +0100
ECSCW 2007 Workshop: Techniques and Methodologies for Studying Technology
Use 'In the Wild'

Further details can be found at
http://www.cityware.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content
<http://www.cityware.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Ite
mid=44> &task=view&id=77&Itemid=44. Please contact Tim Jay -
[log in to unmask] - with any submissions or questions

Main ECSCW 2007 site: http://www.ecscw07.org <http://www.ecscw07.org/>

Organisers: The workshop will be coordinated by Tim Jay and Danae
Stanton-Fraser from the Department of Psychology, University of Bath.

Workshop Overview: The aim of this workshop is to engage researchers from a
variety of disciplines to discuss new methods and techniques for studying
the use of technology in a mobile context. We encourage the submission of
short papers on a variety of projects. The workshop will be structured
around a these papers with plenty of time for discussion and debate. Issues
that are suggested in the call for papers are:

. The recruitment and retention of participants
. Innovative means of engaging users of technology
. Innovative means of capturing data
. Long-term engagement of users of technology
. Ethical and Intellectual Property issues arising from research involving
participants
. Appropriating new or existing technologies for new forms of data
collection
. Optimising data quality from participants
. Opportunities and costs of sustained interventions

Alongside the discussion around submitted papers, Tim and Danae will be
presenting some of their experience of working on the Cityware project
(http://www.cityware.org.uk <http://www.cityware.org.uk/> ). There will be
also be invited talks from Mark Rouncefield and Connor Graham - 'Using
mobile phones as cultural probes' - and from Monika Buscher - 'Going native,
settling into the future: Video ethnography and design'.

Who Should Attend - And Why: Intended participants are researchers currently
working on projects involving innovative methods for evaluating use of
technology 'in the wild', from a range of disciplines. Our main aim is to
share experiences of various methods and techniques for studying the use of
technology. If we have sufficient interest we will target a journal for a
special issue on the topic following the workshop.

Submissions: Position papers should be 2-4 pages and should be submitted to
Tim Jay - [log in to unmask] - by 31st July. Notification of acceptance will
be sent by 10th August.

Tim Jay

Research Officer, Cityware

Department of Psychology