CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
"Stefan Wobben [Concept7]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:42:56 +0200
Hello,

I am interested in ‘usability problem classifications’

Our company helps business to improve their websites, we offer interaction design, visual design and usability research services to achieve this.

We use eyetracking (peep) method and a relative small sample (4 to 7) participants to perform a usability test. Other usability services we offer are expert evaluations (MOT), cardsorting and multivariate experiments.

I’m looking for a more ‘structural’ approach of reporting a usability problem. So quality of our reports is improved, our different services can better benefit from each other (f.e. an error found  during a usability test can be solved, implemented and measured with a multivariate experiment) and i can build a database with usability problems and eyetracking data.

I’ve been delving into some research done about usability problem classification and found  some interesting papers: ‘The user action framework: a reliable foundation for usability engineering support tools’. T.S. Andre. ‘Usability Error Classification: Qualitative Data Analysis for UX Practioners’, L.Gorlenko, ‘Classification of Usability Problems (CUP) Scheme: Augmentation and Exploitation’, S.G. Vilbergsdóttir, ‘The Usability Problem Taxonomy: A Framework for Classification and Analysis’, S. Keenan.

The User Action Framework seems to most promising. In their paper they give an example which consist of 5 level. Level 1: Assesment, Level 2: Presentation of feedback, Level 3: Perceptual issues, Level 4: Legibility, Level 5: Font Size & Contrast. This however is the only example i can find of a 5-level classification.

I’m looking for people that have experience with or are interested in usability problem classification and who would like to ‘discuss’ with me about them with the goal of creating a scheme for the web and put it into practice.

Looking forward to hear of any of you.

Kind regards,
Stefan Wobben, Concept7
[log in to unmask] 0031646340998