From:
Bryan Grubaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 07:50:42 -0700
I have no practical experience with cloud tags in a professional
setting, but have noticed several observations from seeing them in use
across the web.

1)  They are a very trendy item.  I once saw them described as "the
mullets of web 2.0.  Some people just can't resist mullets" (I believe
Jeffrey Zeldman said this).  They serve no practical function that
probably couldn't be better represented in another fashion.  This being
said, I might fall victim to the "I don't know, what I don't know."
problem, and I'm just waiting to learn something they are extremely
useful for.

2)  They should not be used to show relevance, only relativity.  What I
mean is, if you are going to use a tag cloud, it should only be used to
show some thing's size, popularity, or importance against other items in
the same set.  They should not be used to show results, as the nature of
a tag cloud is to provide weight (often confused with importance)
against other items.  When a person sees the tag cloud, their attention
is immediately drawn to the larger items.  The smaller items, are often
overlooked, as seems to be the OPs problem.

Those are just my thoughts.  I've personally never been too thrilled
with the trendy things that web 2.0 has come up with, so I might be
slightly biased against them.

-Bryan