From:
Nitesh Goyal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nitesh Goyal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:49:58 +0100
Hi,

This seems like an interesting situation. I agree with William that the
dimensions should be the same. However, in questions that can offer a large
number of possibilities as an answer, it might be difficult to suffice all
the possible alternatives. So, I would suggest thinking about the following.

1. How do we create questions, when we do not know the user terminology?

First, I would suggest,research for questions available online or other
sources in that domain. This, would help improve the knowledge of the kind
of appropriate words used for a particular domain. However, like in the
original posting, these might not reflect the best possible alternatives.
So, caution should be exercised.

2. Ask the user for the terminology?

Create a smaller user study and ask them to suggest words that reflects
their stand on the question. This might be expensive and more time
consuming. But, worth it, if the labels on the Likert Scale matter hugely.

3. Present the users with a blank, to fill in, along with the Likert Scale.

At the end of the Likert Scale, provide an empty blank for users to fill in
their choice of word, if not available on the scale.  This might break the
utility of the Likert Scale. But then, it would help in 2 ways: preventing
erroneous data from creeping in, and giving the freedom to the designer of
the scale to interpret the answer closest to the scale according to him.
Since, his mental model relates better to the scale.

Hopefully, this helps!

Thanks and Regards,
Nitesh Goyal
RWTH, Aachen